La Mirada Refuse and Recycling Programs
The City of La Mirada operates a multi-layerapproach to refuse and recycling with various programs designed to fit the needs of residential, commercial, and multi-family dwellings. After an extensive Request for Proposal process in 2009, the La Mirada City Council approved an agreement with EDCO Disposal Service for the exclusive collection of Refuse, Recycling, and Greenwaste. For your convenience, information is listed below on the various programs offered to residents. For additional assistance, please visit EDCO Disposal or contact the City’s recycling coordinator at (562) 902-2385.
- Residential Recycling and Refuse – The City of La Mirada contracts with EDCO Disposal Service for the collection of Refuse, Recycling, and Green Waste from all single family dwellings. Residents are provided three 90-gallon bins for refuse, recycling, and green waste. In addition, EDCO also provides the following services:
- Unlimited Bulky Item Pick-Up
- E-Waste and U-Waste curbside Pick-up
- SHARPS Collection
- Senior Discount (62 and above)
- Bi-annual mulch and paper shredding event
For more information on the Residential refuse, recycling, and Greenwaste program, please visit EDCO Disposal or contact the City’s recycling coordinator at (562) 902-2385.
- Commercial Recycling and Refuse – The City of La Mirada takes an alternative approach to recycling in the commercial sector and multi-family dwellings. Since 1995, all refuse generated from the commercial sector has been taken to a materials recovery facility (MRF) where the material is sorted and maximum diversion is achieved. In 2012, the State of California implemented AB341 which is a mandatory commercial recycling effort. Due to the City’s use of the MRF, all of the commercial and multi-family dwellings are in compliance with this law. For more information, contact EDCO at EDCO Disposal or the City’s recycling coordinator at (562) 902-2385. Green Business Tools are also available here.
- Construction and Demolition – In an effort to reduce the amount of inert material that is disposed of in landfills, the City of La Mirada adheres to the CALGreen Construction Waste Reduction Requirements for all construction projects. This programs aims to maximize recycling for construction and demolition projects. Contractors have the choice of using the City’s Exclusive Franchised Hauler to collect and recycle Construction and Demolition material, or they may self-haul and show proof of diversion. For more information, contact the City’s recycling coordinator at (562) 902- 2372.
- Used Oil Recycling - It is illegal to dispose of used oil in storm drains, or any facility other than licensed oil disposal facilities. Residents may call Public Works for a current list of used oil disposal locations, or take the used oil in a sealed container to a Household Hazardous Waste Round Up.
- Beverage Container Recycling – The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) administers funding programs to assist organizations with establishing convenient beverage container recycling and litter abatement projects, and to encourage market development and expansion activities for beverage container materials. The City of La Mirada currently receives funds for Beverage Container Recycling and utilizes it for litter abatement programs in the Public Right-of-Way.
- Household Hazardous Waste – The City of La Mirada participates in the Los Angeles County Household Hazardous Collection Program events which is sponsored jointly by the Sanitation Districts and Los Angeles County. The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program gives Los Angeles County residents a legal and cost-free way to dispose of unwanted household chemicals that cannot be disposed of in the regular trash. In addition to several permanent drop-off sites in Los Angeles County, weekly events are also sponsored by various cities. For a list of accepted material and a current list of permanent locations and weekly mobile events, visit the County website.
- Composting Workshops – Los Angeles County offers free Smart Gardening workshops to improve your lawn/garden and reduce waste. No reservations are needed for this workshop and they are 1.5 hours and are held at Learning Centers, libraries, parks, and schools. Both Beginner Workshops and Advanced Workshops are available. For a list of locations and schedule of classes, visit the Composting workshop website.
2017 Holiday Trash and Street Sweeping Schedule
Thanksgiving - November 23
Trash – Thursday Pick-up moved to Friday, November 24.
Friday Pick-up moved to Saturday, November 25.
Street Sweeping – No Sweeping either day.
Christmas Eve – December 24
Trash – No Change.
Street Sweeping – No Change.
Christmas Day – December 25
Trash – Trash will be delayed one day December 26 - Saturday, December 30.
Street Sweeping – No Sweeping on December 25. Regular schedule resumes December 26 through 29.
New Year’s Eve – December 31
Trash – No Change.
Street Sweeping – No Change.
New Year’s Day – January 1
Trash – Trash will be delayed one day January 2 - Saturday January 6.
Street Sweeping – Regular schedule resumes January 2 through 5.